Saturday, October 11, 2008

- 计划赶不上变化 -

-Plans cannot keep up with change -

I believe this should be the motto of China. It was relayed to us during our training in California, and I thought of this Chinese idiom (common saying) as I was sitting down to write.

Things are going well. I have found most of my quiet time has been found at one of two extremes: early in the morning or late at night. More recently, it has been late at night as I have been staying up late to finish lesson plans. I am convinced that creating and implementing lesson plans is a form of a CRASH COURSE that all teachers must go through. This is the season of my life for sure. Each week I must have the following weeks lesson plans completed by Friday and I must admit that this is a challenge for me.

Living in another Culture

TIME is not something I would consider myself to have much of. I think it is just the reality of adjusting to living in China. One cannot easily dismiss the realities and challenges of moving to a new country: living in a new country and culture; starting a new job; language barrier and limitations; living, working, and getting to know 6 other Americans; and, last but not least, making and getting to know new Chinese friends. I guess the best way of thinking about it if you have never spent time and/or lived in another culture is to imagine mental fatigue or stress coming from everyday activities that you go about everyday of your normal life. By far, I am probably experiencing the least of this compared to many of my teammates, but it stills takes times to establish a routine, places to relax, and a mode by which you can go about your life without being drained all the time.

An added FACTOR for me is the fact that I need a LOT of DOWN TIME to function well and a lot of times I don't get it. Unfortunately, this can put me on edge, but the Father has been good in seeing that it doesn't get too bad. Another challenge for me is that I can be CLOSED OFF when IN LARGE GROUP settings and this is a challenge that I am struggling with and working on overcoming, especially as the program that I am with revolves around team building. I could use some up-lifting thoughts if some of you find some time.

Team

I should add that my TEAM is AMAZING. I am enjoying my new group of friends. I admit that it has been a little bit of a rough start for me, but things are really starting to flow and I am grateful for that. I do not think there is anything quite more important than team dynamics to be good when you around the same people everyday 24/7 .

We have been able to explore a little more of Nanchang and it has been pretty cool. The other day we went to a NATIONAL DAY like "fair" downtown and it was pretty crowded, but then again when isn't it crowded in China? Just imagine the 4th of July, but instead of everybody setting-off fireworks at their place all of them going to a fair and hanging out all day. If you are from Vancouver, just think of the Fort and everybody trying to see the fireworks at night. Below are some pictures of what it looked like walking around downtown.




I also took a picture of a lady selling some kind of Chinese nuts that looked about the size of walnuts and I thought it turned out well. In addition, there was a older man holding sugar coated dates who stood out against the crowd.


We also went on the third largest Ferris Wheel in the world, which is kind of crazy to think about. Mind you I not scared of heights, but I am aware of when I am 30-50 stories up in the air.

(This thing is huge!)


(Our Team and our Friends)

Well, it is getting really late and I need to catch some sleep! I hope you enjoy the pictures!


No comments: