(Me and the Olympic Bear)
Good story: So I have told some people that being white and being in China kind of makes you a "mini celebrity". It is hard to explain, but I thought I would take a moment to explain this picture. When my friends and I tried to get a picture with one of the Olympic bears that we have all seen advertised as a part of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing we ran into some problems. As we started to take the picture, the Chinese students realized that the foreigners were going to take a picture and they wanted to be a part of it, which caused some problems for us and our photographer. Christina - our photographer was quickly pushed out of the way and she barely got a picture with my camera...that is why this picture looks so crazy...
Closing Ceremony
So today our university was performing the Closing Ceremony for its Sports Meet, which has been extended over two weeks - due to weather - and has lasted a total of 4 days. It's a pretty big deal to be sure and it is really hard to explain the magnitude with which the Chinese put on an event. Plus, it is just simply too hard to explain without showing pictures how many people can turn out to such an event. Our university claims to have over 50,000 students and I would believe it. On the new campus there is about 30,000 students and on the old campus - where we live - there are about 20,000 students. It is really hard to picture sometimes. After the Sports Meet I am NO LONGER A DOUBTER, I AM BELIEVER : ).
I wanted to include some of my favorite pictures from today since I have some time while I gather energy to write some more lessons - mainly a midterm - for next week.
3 comments:
Wow. And we thought we had a lot of students... but it's a little different when there are a few thousand people under the age of 11.
You got to meet jingjing!?! What was he like? Rachael and I have a stuffed animal of that crazy mascot bear in our apartment.
I am amazed at the mass of people there. Holy moly.
Haha, it was pretty cool. Not going to lie. Jingjing was all that and more ;).
Post a Comment