So the other day I was talking to my student Echo who is one of my brighter and more diligent students, and actually seems interested in learning English (that actually doesn't happen too much). Anyways, she came up to me and asked me if I remembered helping her prepare for a presentation on the labor market and I said I did. From there, she went on to tell me that after she finished her presentation for Mr. Ern (who is one of the Filipino teachers here at Blue Sky) the other day he asked her what she would think if China lost the capability to fund their economy and stores and hospitals started closing down because of lack of funds, and everyone lost their job.
She told me frankly that she was shocked and didn't know what to say. So she thought "What would Mr. Aaron do or say?" So she said told me that she remembered how I say "So sad" (I admit that this is nearly Chinglish, but it makes my students laugh so I am okay with it), and decided that is what I would say in that situation. So she told Mr. Ern "It must be so sad...." I have no clue what Mr. Ern said, but if I was there I would have been laughing outloud. I half wonder if she said, "I think this is what Mr. Aaron would say."
So there you have it. I have successfully indoctrinated the students to mentally ask themselves, "What would Mr. Aaron do?" My job is done here...
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
mr. aaron would....
-drink coffee
-organize his calendar
-watch little women
-and be awesome.
not bad, not bad
yeah, a lot of chinese students do tend to ask for others' opinions before forming their own, so sad. i'm thinking that it must have something to do with the previous education they have received--the teachers hand out ready-made answers for the students to memorize for passing the tests,and stuff like that. im sure this isn't new to anyone who's been on the front line of education here in china. so sad, huh.and the students who received this kind of education grow up and become a teacher just like their own. gotta break this wicked circle!
Post a Comment