Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Challenges: Unforeseen Problems

Yesterday was my first day of teaching after having not taught for over a month. It is kind of weird to step back into a role that you are quite familiar with, but also one you are consistently amazed that you are allowed to be - a teacher.

For me - I have to admit - there are some really high points and some really low points. One day, the class is highly interactive and the lesson plan is seemingly meeting all the objectives that you had set out to accomplish for the day. Yet, on the very next day, it seems that nothing is working and the students could absolutely care less. Then, on yet another day, you seemingly make endless mistakes both in spelling and giving information so that you feel very stupid by the time class finishes. I guess I had one of those kinds of days...

Today, I walked out of the class wondering "What were my expectations today?".

I have a student that will remain unnamed that - whether knowingly or unknowingly - knows how to consistently push all the wrong buttons with me. (We call them "extra grace required" students.) At any rate, I felt like I let that person get to me today and it was frustrating because I hadn't prepared or factored them into my teaching plan today, and it blindsided me. Worse off, it negatively impacted how the rest of my class went; something I don't want to repeat.

Well, enough of the gray dreary mood! I should share with you the 5 top things that my students did during the Spring Festival (I guess the closest equivalent would be Christmas...) I attached a link, albeit it is Wikipedia, if you want to learn more about Spring Festival.

1. Sleep
2. Watch Tv
3. Eat
4. Shopping

As you can see, my students are a lively bunch indeed! I told them that they should add sleeping as #5 so they can repeat the process. I was successful in managing to get them to laugh at that. I should note though that many of students do not have as many opportunities afforded them as I do, and going home is probably the best gift they could receive during the Spring Festival holiday.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I guess everything would be too easy if it weren't for those extra grace required people! :) And I love what you wrote about how the students spent their Spring Festival.

Andy said...

Speaking of spring festival, I saw the video of you speaking Chinese on the Chinese New Year. Good job! Your Chinese is still very good I think.

Fingers said...

Brother,
Thoughts be with you. Is it crazy to say that I have been thinking about teaching for the last week or so? I've been reading this book about the challenges boys face in our education system from the start. (It's just for fun and I picked it up at the public library. Sick and twisted huh?!?!) Anyhow, between that and my experiential ed class, and other stuff I read in research for a presentation, I find myself somewhat drawn in that direction. We'll see, the idea of teaching school scares me more than the idea of doing school. That and the need for more school in order to do so. Thanks for the update. Blessings upon you.