Sunday, February 22, 2009

2 Truths About Teaching

In teaching over the last 5-6 months I have been reminded of how true the following is:

1. It is a blessing to teach: In teaching YOU are reminded that you ARE also THE STUDENT. Most days you walk away having learned so much more from teaching and your students that you half wonder who is really teaching who.

2. It is a privilege to teach: In teaching you realize that you have been given a position of authority (whatever the level) to be considered the expert on a subject. The thought of course is absurd, but there it is! For me, the fact that 200 people are willing to sit down and listen is to me is AMAZING. Nevertheless, I cannot escape the fact that teaching is at once both a tremendous blessing as well as a tremendous responsibility. I have not only been given responsibility of being an expert on a subject, but in some ways I have also been given responsibility for the shaping of young hearts and minds.

2 comments:

jodi said...

true dat bro, true dat.

Laura said...

i second jodi's comment. and i love this post, because it's so simple, but also so profound! we do indeed have an awesome opportunity to help shape the minds of 200 students, or at least to get them thinking about important things...